Going tenting throughout snake season? Listed here are the Dos and Don’ts of snake security to assist stop and take care of snake bites…
I just lately wrote an article on the 5 Basic Snake Safety Tips Every RVers Needs to Know. Because the title suggests, I coated the essential security measures each RVer ought to take at any time when they go tenting in snake nation.
As we discovered, ALMOST ALL of the US is snake nation. Actually, 46 of the 50 states are dwelling not solely to snakes however venomous snakes. So, it’s necessary that you just and everybody in your journey occasion be taught snake security.
I coated the fundamentals in that article, however now I’m going to enter extra depth. I’m going to record out the Dos and Don’ts of snake security.
The Dos and Don’ts of Snake Security
Let’s begin off with what to do and never do everytime you’re tenting or mountain climbing in snake nation. Then, we’ll speak about what to do if somebody is bitten. I’ve pulled a lot of this data from the U.S. Army.
The Dos: Snake Chunk Prevention
- When you’re not sure, assume each snake you encounter is venomous. Keep a minimum of 4 toes away.
- Verify your campsite for snakes once you first arrive (see 5 Basic Tips).
- Use the buddy system when strolling or working on trails in snake nation.
- Put on over-the-ankle boots, thick socks, and lengthy unfastened pants, particularly when venturing off of closely used trails.
- Faucet forward of you with a strolling stick earlier than coming into an space the place you’ll be able to’t see your toes. Snakes will attempt to keep away from you if given sufficient warning.
- When attainable, step on logs and rocks, by no means over them as you might shock a sheltering snake.
- Keep away from strolling via dense brush or blackberry thickets.
- Watch out when stepping out of your RV. Snakes prefer to shelter underneath issues, together with your RV steps. Look behind your steps earlier than you step down.
- Preserve your campsite away from pointless gadgets and particles for snakes to cover in or underneath.
- Preserve your canine on a leash.
- Train your children and journey companions snake security.
The Don’ts: Snake Chunk Prevention
- Don’t step or put your palms the place you can’t see.
- Don’t choose up a wild snake. Give it the right-of-way and transfer round it at a secure distance.
- Don’t wander at midnight and not using a flashlight. Most snakes are energetic on heat nights.
- Don’t go away your sneakers exterior. When you do, dump them out earlier than you place them on.
- Don’t contact a lifeless snake. Useless snakes can nonetheless reflexively strike you and inject venom.
- Don’t suppose that nonvenomous snakes aren’t harmful. They’re nonetheless wild animals and ought to be revered. Any snake chunk is painful and might get contaminated.
- Don’t let younger children or pets play on or close to excessive brush, particles piles, or rock croppings.
Mike and Jennifer’s Summer time T-Shirts to your subsequent journey
The Dos: If Bitten
- If bitten by a venomous snake (or not sure), name 911 instantly.
- Preserve the particular person calm, reassuring them that bites will be successfully handled in an emergency room. (Slower coronary heart price = slower unfold of venom).
- Limit motion as a lot as attainable.
- Preserve the chunk under coronary heart stage to scale back the circulate of venom.
- Rinse wound with contemporary water, if attainable.
- Take away any rings or constricting gadgets or materials as a result of the world could swell.
- Await assist to reach. Solely transfer the particular person in the event you should with a purpose to get them to assist.
- Take an image or bear in mind particulars of the snake.
- Everybody keep calm! Out of seven,000-8,000 folks bitten by venomous snakes within the U.S. yearly, only about .0006% die.
The Don’ts: If Bitten
- Don’t enable the particular person to turn into over-exerted. If essential, carry the particular person to security or go away them in a secure place whilst you go for assist.
- Don’t apply a tourniquet. A tourniquet localizes the venom, growing the possibility of lasting harm in that space.
- Don’t apply ice or chilly compresses to a snake chunk.
- Don’t attempt to suck out the venom by mouth.
- Don’t lower into the snake chunk with a knife or razor.
- Don’t give the particular person stimulants or ache drugs (together with aspirin) until a health care provider tells you to take action.
- Don’t give the particular person something by mouth.
- Don’t increase the location of the chunk above the extent of the particular person’s coronary heart.
- Don’t wait to hunt medical consideration! The very small snake dying price in the US can be even smaller if extra folks sought medical assist instantly.
- Do not bother with a snake bite kit. Research have proven that “discipline remedies” usually tend to make the scenario worse.
NOTE: Whenever you name 911 from a mobile phone, the decision usually goes to a regional middle. Instantly inform the call-taker which metropolis you’re calling from and the kind of emergency. Even higher, put together forward of time by recording native emergency numbers in your mobile phone.
Canine Snake Security Suggestions
- Preserve your canine on a leash.
- Preserve your canine on marked trails.
- Don’t let your canine stick their snout into brush, underneath rocks, or particles piles.
- In case your canine assaults a snake, don’t intervene together with your palms. Attempt to pull them away from the top of the leash. (See 5 Basic Tips)
- Train your canine “come” and “go away it” instructions, working towards with a faux snake or rattle.
- If bitten, comply with security human protocols listed above. Preserve the canine calm and carry them if attainable. Search veterinarian consideration instantly.
- When you didn’t see your canine get bit or see a chunk, however they’re exhibiting snake bite symptoms, take your canine for a vet analysis instantly.
- Most canines survive snake chunk wounds if handled. (I do know of a 6-pound canine that survived a rattlesnake chunk!)
Right here’s what sort of canine coaching has helped preserve our canine Bo secure!
Like what you see on the video? We’d respect it in the event you would Subscribe to our YouTube Channel (easy to do right here) and contemplate “ringing the bell icon” to be notified of any new video from us. 🙂 Thanks!
Respect, Not Concern
Snakes are stunning and unbelievable creatures. Like all wild animal, they need to be revered and given a large berth after we’re of their territory.
Keep in mind, snakes would a lot somewhat spend their venom on prey than waste it on you. Like all creature, they need to defend themselves to outlive one other day. Snakes shouldn’t be hated for that simply because they do a greater job defending themselves than most.
What are your snake suggestions?
Tell us within the feedback right here or in our social posts!
The place to RV Subsequent?
This bundle is our common Higher Peninsula RV Journey Information PLUS our latest Journey Information – The Nice Lakes Shoreline Tour! Each ebooks gives you loads of concepts and assets to take pleasure in this a part of the US.
The Nice Lakes Shoreline Tour — One in every of our favourite RV journeys has been driving the US facet of the 5 Nice Lakes. It’s a journey of over 4,000 miles and takes you to eight states! And it’s crammed with stunning vistas, welcoming cities and villages, and fabulous locations to camp, hike, and discover.
Higher Peninsula RV Journey Information — At any time when somebody asks us “The place is one in every of your favourite locations within the US for RVing?” Our reply is certainly, in unison, “The UP of Michigan.” The “UP” which means Higher Peninsula, after all.
Searching for extra Skilled RV Journey concepts and RV Journey options?
We’ve written a library of RV Travel books that lay out guided RV explorations of scenic areas of the US that we’’ve explored and suppose would make a superb RV journey for you.
In every location, we offer a prompt route and itinerary (7 stops in every information, one for every day of per week journey!) in addition to hyperlinks to a number of campgrounds and boondocking spots, native suggestions, and attention-grabbing issues to do at every location.
You possibly can hit every thing in seven days, do a whirlwind weekend tour, or you’ll be able to take your time and discover the world over a 2+ week interval.
Planning an RV journey will be very time-consuming in order that’s why we’ve finished the analysis for you! Simply take our guides and use them. We’re positive you’ll have an RV journey for the ages! Immediate obtain. CLICK HERE for information on our RV Travel Guides
Curious concerning the gear, devices, equipment, and RV merchandise Mike & Jennifer use and advocate?
On this RV Lifestyle Travel blog, our RV Podcast and our RV Lifestyle YouTube Channel, we point out all kinds of RV-related merchandise and equipment that we use, So we created a particular web page that hyperlinks to them. We replace this on a regular basis. CLICK HERE to go to it directly.