In early 2021, American Airways and JetBlue Airways launched a strategic alliance within the Northeast. The idea behind this partnership is that JetBlue has wonderful connectivity within the Northeast, and American needs to develop its lengthy haul presence out of New York, however wants connecting site visitors.
As a part of this collaboration, the 2 airways provide reciprocal perks for frequent flyers. I’ve written about the reciprocal elite perks offered, and on this put up I wished to try the reciprocal alternatives to earn and redeem miles and factors.
Let’s go over all the main points, beginning with how one can earn factors, after which we’ll speak about how one can redeem factors.
Earn American AAdvantage miles on JetBlue
American AAdvantage lets you earn redeemable miles and Loyalty Factors when touring with JetBlue, whatever the airline you e book by.
JetBlue is the primary American AAdvantage airline associate the place you earn miles based mostly on how a lot you spend somewhat than as a share of the space that you simply fly. As a matter of reality, mileage incomes mirrors what you’d get on American, right down to the elite bonuses (all miles qualify as Loyalty Factors towards standing):
- AAdvantage members earn 5x miles per greenback spent
- AAdvantage Gold members earn 7x miles per greenback spent (40% bonus)
- AAdvantage Platinum members earn 8x miles per greenback spent (60% bonus)
- AAdvantage Platinum Professional members earn 9x miles per greenback spent (80% bonus)
- AAdvantage Govt Platinum members earn 11x miles per greenback spent (120% bonus)
There are a number of additional issues to notice:
- The bottom fare and gas surcharges are thought-about qualifying spending, whereas the federal government imposed taxes and charges aren’t thought-about qualifying spending
- You may’t earn American AAdvantage miles for journey on JetBlue between america and Europe, so JetBlue’s service between New York and London wouldn’t qualify for mileage incomes or Loyalty Factors
- There are typically points with JetBlue accepting a sound AAdvantage quantity, during which case miles may not put up appropriately (I’ve dealt with this issue myself)
Earn JetBlue TrueBlue factors on American
JetBlue TrueBlue lets you earn factors when touring on American, and people factors even depend towards Mosaic standing. You may earn factors no matter whether or not you e book with American or JetBlue. Factors incomes charges fairly intently mirror what you’d earn if flying with JetBlue:
- TrueBlue members earn 3x factors per greenback spent (1x factors for fundamental financial system), which additionally depend towards Mosaic standing
- Mosaic members earn 3x bonus factors per greenback spent
- TrueBlue members who e book by JetBlue’s web site or app earn an additional 3x factors per greenback spent (1x factors for fundamental financial system)
As is at all times the case, base fare and gas surcharges qualify as eligible spending, whereas the federal government imposed taxes and charges don’t. There aren’t any excluded routes right here, as you possibly can earn TrueBlue factors on all American Airways routes.
Redeem American AAdvantage miles on JetBlue
It’s doable to redeem American AAdvantage miles for journey on JetBlue, apart from transatlantic flights, which you’ll be able to’t redeem for. Award pricing follows American’s typical associate award chart (with a serious catch), which you’ll be able to see beneath.
What’s the catch?
- JetBlue Mint enterprise class tickets worth based mostly on the “First” column somewhat than the “Enterprise / First” column
- On high of that, it’s a must to pay an extra 15,000 AAdvantage miles one-way for a lot of Mint routes, together with segments between Boston, New York, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Palm Seashore, and Los Angeles and San Francisco
What’s award availability like when redeeming on JetBlue by American AAdvantage?
- JetBlue financial system class awards e book into the “P” fare class
- JetBlue Mint enterprise class awards e book into the “I” fare class
So long as there’s availability in that fare class for a specific JetBlue flight, it is best to be capable of redeem AAdvantage miles for it.
The place does that go away us on the subject of the power to redeem AAdvantage miles on JetBlue? Financial system redemptions have the potential to be an ideal deal, as you possibly can redeem 12,500 AAdvantage miles for a one-way JetBlue financial system ticket inside america. Whilst you’ll at all times need to evaluate it to money charges, that could possibly be a great deal.
JetBlue Mint redemptions are a bit trickier. You’ll typically pay 65,000 AAdvantage miles one-way for a transcontinental Mint ticket. Personally I value AAdvantage miles at ~1.5 cents every, in order that’s the equal of paying near $1,000 value of miles for a one-way ticket.
You’ll usually discover cheaper JetBlue Mint tickets than that, however then once more, should you’re reserving final minute that could possibly be a discount in comparison with the money price.
Redeem JetBlue TrueBlue factors on American
Quite frustratingly, it’s nonetheless not doable to redeem JetBlue TrueBlue factors for journey on American. That is one thing that was imagined to be rolled out already, however it hasn’t occurred. As of now, JetBlue merely states that “we’re working to make that doable sooner or later.”
Whereas JetBlue has some airline partnerships, sadly redemption alternatives with TrueBlue factors are severely restricted.
American and JetBlue have a partnership. Not solely does this provide reciprocal elite perks, however it additionally gives reciprocal factors incomes and redemption alternatives (besides you possibly can’t redeem JetBlue factors on American).
I’d say this partnership is about as nicely executed because it could possibly be, when it comes to the power to earn factors for journey on the opposite airline, in addition to the power to redeem AAdvantage miles on JetBlue.
What do you make of AAdvantage & TrueBlue reciprocal factors alternatives?